With Thanksgiving officially behind us and Christmas approaching quickly, I’ve got presents on my brain. And not the ones that I hope to find under the tree for myself… the ones that I’ll share with others! I’m a sucker for homemade gifts, so this year I want to share with you some of my favorite DIYs that I’ve done this year. Who knows?? Maybe one will inspire you to make some homemade gifts this Christmas season!
First up: How to turn your favorite calendar prints into wall art plaques 🙂
I love prints (if you can’t tell from my FriYAY Faves collection…) and I loooooooove Rifle Paper Company (P.S. They are having a 30% off Black Friday sale through Monday). I’ve been a huge fan of Anna’s for years now, and my hubby did a great thing and bought me the 2014 Travel Calendar last year around this time. I’m already looking forward to getting another Rifle calendar for 2015… Maybe the Honey Bee? or Les Fleurs?
Anywho… I digress.
I was so in love with my Travel calendar that by June I couldn’t bear the thought of parting with it. Sooooo I decided to make the first 6 months permanent features on my wall. Here’s how:
- Buy a large wooden plaque to adhere each print to. I got mine from Walmart with a coupon for only $2 each!
- If you want the plaques to be a different color, go ahead and paint them and let them dry completely before the next step.
- Lay the prints face down on the plaque, and on the back of the prints with a pencil trace the outline of the plaque to get the calendar pages to the exact size you desire.
- Cut your prints out carefully. Mine needed a lot of trimming because it was a large calendar, but whatever you do, make sure those lines are straight!
- Use Modge Podge to lightly coat the wood in the area that the prints will go. Be sure it’s a very even, very thin coat to ensure that the paper won’t bubble.
- Lay the prints gently on the wooden plaques. Be sure to get any bubbles out my rubbing over them.
- Dry, hang with 3M strips, and voila!
Ours look great in our pantry area of the kitchen!! I love that we were able to repurpose these pretties and now we get to see them every day! Plus, if you are thinking about doing this project to make gifts, one calendar equals 12 pretty presents to give to friends and family! And each with their own unique print 🙂